Drinking organic green tea has always been considered part of a healthy regimen. It is one of the healthiest teas available in the market today. But did you know that there are different kinds of organic green tea? Surprising as it may seem, we must learn what kind of tea we are drinking to really ensure if it is the healthiest of its kind or not. A Japanese green tea known as matcha is presently considered as the best organic green tea. Why is that so? We will learn more about the matcha tea benefits as we go along as well as how to buy matcha green tea online, but before that your should know which is the Best Matcha Green Tea in India. So read more.
The name matcha comes from the Japanese words “cha” which means tea and “ma” which translates to powder. Thus, it is safe to say that matcha green tea is a finely ground Japanese organic green tea that has been used in Japan for centuries and is served during their tea ceremony.
Top 10 Facts About Matcha
- Matcha contains more caffeine than coffee. Did you know that a teaspoon of matcha has 70 mg of caffeine? Surprising as it may be, matcha has a higher amount of caffeine compared to a single shot of espresso which only has 64 mg caffeine. Hence, it is safe to say that a cup matcha will keep you more energize than a cup of coffee.
- One cup of matcha is equivalent to 10 cups of green tea. One single cup of matcha is equivalent to drinking 10 cups of green tea. Imagine how nutritious it can be? We were all told that green tea is one of the healthiest tea, but right now, we believe it’s the matcha.
- Matcha lets you burn 25% more calories. Pushing for that weight loss? Grab a matcha as it will help boost your metabolism and thermogenesis.
- It can be prepared in 2 ways: koicha or usucha. Koicha means thick tea while usucha means thin tea. So either you want a thick or thin tea to drink, you can have it either way.
- Chinese emperors praised matcha for its medicinal properties. We all know that China always rely on naturalistic way of treating ailments and other diseases. Matcha is one of the best tea that offers a wide range of benefits when it comes to maintaining health as evidenced by how Chinese royalty viewed it to be.
- The fountain of youth. Matcha is known to slow down aging because of its high levels of antioxidants.
- The umami taste. Once you drink matcha, it is hard to ignore that weird taste. This taste is known as umami which is like a sweet-savory and brothy taste. It is also considered by many as the 5th flavor following the most common sweet, bitter, sour and salty tastes.
- Less calories. 1 gram of matcha only contains 2.76 calories! No more worries if you are watching your caloric intake, ladies and gents!
- 44.7 mg amino acids are found in matcha. Amino acids are described as the building blocks of our body. Matcha green tea has 44.7 mg of amino acids compared to the mediocre 3 mg found in your regular green tea.
- Only suspension tea in the whole world. Matcha is unlike any other tea. What makes it unique is the fact that it cannot be dissolved in water. When you make matcha, you will see that the tea only suspends in water. This is the very main reason why it should be consumed right after it’s prepared so that it won’t settle at the bottom of the cup.
A Perfect Matcha Buying Guide
This organic green tea has made its rounds around the globe and entices a lot of people all over the world including India due to the matcha tea benefits. The fact that this tea is now starting to be more popular among people, some are taking advantage of its popularity to sell this best organic green tea. However, one must take note that not all being sold can be considered as the best organic matcha.
Even an authentic matcha tea may not be the best of its kind. Hence, it is important to know how to correctly shop for it. People who are shopping online must also be aware of the products they are purchasing because they couldn’t see the actual product until it is delivered to their doorsteps. How to buy matcha green tea online can be quite tricky, but this matcha buying guide that we have prepared for you will help.
1. Powder Color
Color is an important element in knowing the best organic matcha. Go for a vibrant green color. The more vibrant the matcha powder is, the better quality it has. Green matcha means that the production process was done carefully to help maintain the tea leaves’ chlorophyll content by picking from the top part of the plant as well as shading it from direct sunlight. The greener it is means that you get a lot of health benefits of matcha green tea because it is full of chlorophyll and amino acids which are needed by the body.
If the matcha powder has a brownish hue, however, means that it is taken from a lower part of the plant and that it was not protected from the sunlight.
2. Origin of the Product
The second tip for our matcha buying guide when looking where to buy matcha powder is the location. Check for the place where matcha tea leaves are grown and manufactured before buying. Two countries that lead the production of matcha are Japan and China. Originally, matcha began in China yet the Japanese are more adept in cultivating it as it became a part of their culture for the past centuries.
In China, farmers don’t usually grow the tea plants in shade which makes the color dull and contains less chlorophyll. They don’t also air dry the leaves after steaming them which makes it less matcha-like in taste. Unlike Japan who cultivated the plant for the past centuries, matcha was only re-introduced to China in the more or less 15 years ago making them less experienced in cultivation. When purchasing matcha green tea in India or any other countries aside from Japan and China, make sure that the brand you are purchasing is being supplied by the Japanese to ensure the best quality for your matcha recipes. In Natureveda, we have a supplier in Uji matcha farm and it is JAS certified highest quality that we have in our store.
3. Smooth Creamy Taste
A best matcha green tea brand will usually have the best taste. If you are a new matcha drinker, you might not know how matcha will tastes like, thus, you can be easily deceived by low grade matcha teas. This matcha buying guide will tell you to look for an earthy taste which indicates a high quality matcha tea. It must also have a taste of natural sweetness which is coming from the leaves’ l-theanine. L-theanine is an amino acid that helps improve sleep, reduce anxiety and alleviate stress levels. It is also good in helping with depression, preventing stroke and promoting weight loss among many others.
Matcha also have a little bitter taste (but in a good way like the bitterness in dark chocolates). The taste of matcha tea will usually depend on how you prepare it too. For example, if you want a hot tea, the warm water will enhance the earthy flavor more, while an icy tea will bring out the sweetness. Nonetheless, no matter how you prepare it, a high quality matcha tea should NOT taste muddy or grassy.
4. Rich Green Aroma
High-quality matcha has a great scent. When you open a can of fresh matcha powder, the aroma must have a floral sweet twinge with a hint of earthy smell. Meanwhile, low quality ones smell grassy and do not have the sweet smell as high quality matcha.
5. Soft Texture
As said earlier, the leaves that make up the matcha powder are really important. A high quality matcha powder is usually made using the youngest and softest tea leaves which generate a smooth texture when ground. A low quality matcha, on the other hand, is made with older and coarser leaves making the final product grassy-like in texture.
6. Affordable Cost
Best Matcha green tea in India may differ in cost if you check different brands. Cost is also an important factor when you are looking for where to buy matcha powder. Of course, we wouldn’t want to spend our money buying low-quality products. If we want to spend, might as well spend it on the best ones. Online sites such as Amazon offer several choices when it comes to matcha powder, and with different prices too. Typically, high grade matcha are expensive because of the complicated and time-intensive process of manufacturing it. However, the best matcha powder on Amazon may not always be the expensive one. Nature Veda’s matcha is a good choice for a brand of high-quality matcha but at an affordable price.
How to buy matcha green tea online may be tricky at first, but the tips from our matcha buying guide will help you decide which among the many matcha green tea in India is the best.
Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea Powder
We already talked about some of the health benefits of matcha green tea in passing earlier when we discussed about l-theanine. However, there is more to that! Did you know that a single cup of a matcha tea is already equivalent to 10 cups of brewed green tea? Amazing, isn’t it? Imagine taking all the benefits of a brewed green tea 10 times in one single drink.
This type of organic green tea also has 137 times more antioxidants that your regular green tea! Here is a list of more benefits from this powerful tea:
- Fights cancer. One of the many antioxidants in matcha is known as catechins. Catechins are not usually found in other food sources. The catechin EGCg in particular has cancer-fighting properties. Other catechins also work against the effects of free radicals such as radiation and chemicals that harm the body by damaging body cells and DNA. Drinking matcha everyday will surely help a person restore and preserve his body’s well-being.
- Improves cholesterol control. While researchers are not quite sure on how matcha positively affects a person’s cholesterol, different studies show that people who drink this type of tea have lower levels of LDL (known as the bad cholesterol) and higher levels of HDL (good cholesterol).
- Promotes weight loss. If you want to lose weight, drinking authentic matcha is one of the best solutions. The antioxidant catechins are not only good in fighting cancer, but it also has a good benefit on a person’s body mass index. A study of Japanese men showed that those who drank tea with more catechins reduced their waist circumference, subcutaneous fat area, body fat mass as well as body fat index. Also, EGCg has been found to boost metabolism during exercise. One study featured in the respectable American Journal of Clinical Nutrition revealed that matcha green tea increases the body’s thermogenesis (body’s rate of burning calories).
- Calm enhancer. Browsing for all the possible best matcha powder on Amazon may give you a headache, but having a cup of a good matcha tea right beside you will help calm your senses. This has been tested and proven by Japanese Buddhist monks as well as Chinese Daoists over the years. They would drink matcha tea to help in their meditation and relaxation. This calm enhancer element is mainly because of the L-theanine that we have mentioned earlier. This amino acid produces alpha waves in a person’s brain which then induce relaxation but still maintains alertness altogether.
- Boost endurance and energy levels. Have you ever heard of the Japanese samurais? These sword-wielding warriors would always drink matcha tea before going to battles for the very main reason that it helped them feel more energize. This energy comes from L-theanine again, and its effects can last up to 6 hours of increased endurance.
- Enhances memory and concentration. Matcha will give you a clear mind and promotes concentration by providing a good and clean energy source. L-theanine helps produce two neurotransmitters called dopamine and serotonin. These neurotransmitters are known to improve memory, enhance concentration and promote better concentration.
- Body detoxifier. Among all teas, matcha has the richest and highest concentration of cholorophyll due to the fact that the leaves are grown in a shaded area and protected from the sun. Chlorophyll is known to be a very powerful detoxifier and helps the body get rid of harmful chemicals and heavy metals present inside. Drinking matcha green tea everyday is also like having your daily detoxification process.
- Strengthens immune system. One of the many health benefits of matcha green tea is the fact that it helps strengthen your immune system which guarantees that you have an overall strong resistance from pathogens. The catechins in matcha are known to have antibiotic properties. Moreover, a cup of matcha green tea is fortified with good amounts of protein, calcium, potassium, iron and vitamins A and C. Some studies even suggest that matcha might have the ability to stop HIV attacks on human cells.
- Liver protection. We all know how important our liver is to our general health. Liver helps flush toxins, process nutrients and metabolize drugs. Several studies found that matcha may help protect the liver from damage. However, more studies should need to be done in order to look more into this matter.
- Protects against heart disease. Heart disease is one of the many fatal health concerns around the globe. One of the top 10 causes of deaths in India listed by the Institute for Health Metric and Evaluation in the University of Washington is heart disease. Drinking matcha green tea in India will proactively decrease this alarming rate of deaths since it was found out that matcha helps in protecting your heart. We have said earlier that matcha helps lower LDL cholesterol, one of the factors that may cause heart disease. When combined with a healthy diet and balance lifestyle, a cup of matcha will help you say goodbye to the horrors and fatality brought about by heart attacks. Men who don’t drink matcha are likely to develop heart disease, while those who do drink have 11% chance of not acquiring the disease.
- Skin health. In addition to all of the above benefits, matcha also helps with your skin health. If you want to have that healthy and glowing skin, all you have to do is drink a cup of matcha a day to get its antioxidants. These antioxidants help in preventing damage cause by free radicals that usually leads to ageing. So if you want to remain young and fresh looking, matcha is a cup for you.
How to Make Traditional Matcha Green Tea?
Since drinking matcha green tea in India may not be as fad as it is in Japan, people may not be aware that there are also different ways in preparing matcha. However, we will discuss the very traditional way on making matcha green tea as they do in Japan.
Things you need:
- 1-2 tsp matcha
- 2 oz hot water
- Small sifter
- Bamboo whisk (Chasen)
- Japanese tea bowl (Chawan) / any Tea Cup
- Japanese tea scoop (Chasaku) / Spoon
Matcha Preparation Steps
- Scoop 1-2 tsp of matcha powder using chasaku, and sift it into the chawan.
- Add 2 oz of hot water.
- Using the bamboo whisk or chasen, whish the tea vigorously until frothy (this might take a minute or so). It is best to whish in a zigzag motion.
- Enjoy your authentic Japanese matcha green tea!
Best Matcha Green Tea in India
Buying the best matcha powder on Amazon is really stressful due to the many brands being sold. However, since we have already discussed the different factors to consider in our matcha buying guide, it makes it easier for us to know which brand to buy. The guide makes it easier for us to know how to buy matcha green tea online, and with the help of all those factors, we have concluded that the best matcha powder on Amazon is the ones sold by Natureveda.
Natureveda is not as costly as the other brands being sold in Amazon, but as we checked into their products, we learned that they are of high quality. The brand itself claims to be “an organic health product store that delivers 100% the freshest healthy & organic products from all over the world.”
The brand offers Four varieties of Matcha Flavours:
- Ceremonial Grade. The highest quality and best quality matcha. It is 100% natural and pure. It also passed the heavy metals (lead) test or no preservatives added test which can guarantee you that it is all natural. It is also FSSAI, USDA organic and JAS certified which only proves that it is indeed the best matcha powder on Amazon.
- Premuim Grade. It may not be as best as the ceremonial grade matcha, but if you are trying to cut costs this is a good choice for you. It is a second harvest quality tea yet 100% organic. It is a vegan and naturally gluten-free tea. Moreover, it is considered top quality clean and pesticide free. It also has FSSAI, USDA organic and JAS certifications like the ceremonial grade tea.
- Matcha Hot Chocolate. Tastier and healthier is always bit complex, but we did it! Our Hot chocolate flavor latte is available for shop now.
- Matcha Turmeric Latte. Boost immunity, helps sleep problems and cure joint problems. Our Turmeric matcha latte is a great drink for your morning energy and help you become diseaseless life.
Remember one factor we have said about location? Knowing how to buy matcha green tea online must include checking for the location of the suppliers of tea leaves. And guess what? Nature Veda gets their supply of tea leaves from Uji, Kyoto, Japan! It is of good quality with a good price, indeed.
Having discussed all of these benefits and wonders of matcha green tea, it is suffice to say that it is indeed the best green tea in the world. No tea, or any drinks, can compare to the health benefits it offers. If you are thinking about your next cup of coffee or tea, we recommend to scrap the idea. Make a move and grab a cup of matcha green tea instead. Making this tea a part of your lifestyle is a great way to keep you healthy and strong all year round.